Happy Valentines Day My Friends!
Anticipation of today has made me reminisce about the wonderful Valentines I have had with Jon. They weren't incredibly big productions, but they were perfect. We would take turns every year cooking for each other and planning our evening. We wouldn't go out, we wouldn't have to deal with the crowds, we didn't put a lot of emphasis on things, but every single one was incredible. They were some of the most special days we shared together and are some of the sweetest memories that are most dear to my heart.
I remember our first Valentines together. It was very sweet. Jon surprised me by making me a wonderful, delicious dinner. It was so sweet. I haven't really known him to ever cook so the gesture and effort meant that much more because it was more special. We had a candle light dinner in his apartment and there was a cute heart of tea lights on the floor. I was swept away. It was such a special, and wonderful night that I was actually nervous that he was going to propose. I was scared about that all night because I loved him but I wasn't ready for that commitment. I don't think he ever knew that I was nervous or that I thought there was a chance of a proposal. I knew we weren't at that point in our relationship but it really was such a sweet and thoughtful night that I wasn't sure. It was the best Valentines Day I have ever had and I wouldn't change it for anything.
The next Valentines that stands out in my mind was a few years later. It was my year and I wanted to knock his socks off. I worked on it for at least a week. I made all sorts of candies, which has a fun and special meaning to me, because when we were teenagers, Jon and I used to make candy together, I decorated, I cooked dinner, and we had a candle light dinner on the floor, asian style on pillows at a short table.
I loved that Valentines were about spending time with each other and trying to do something special for each other. I loved that they weren't focused on commercialism. I loved that we didn't go out to dinner with everyone else in the city. I loved that it was a day just for us. They were perfect days. I hope you all (whomever it may be that actually reads this) can have as perfect, and special, and wonderful Valentines Days as I have been blessed enough to have with my best friend and love of my life.
Now I leave you with a couple of my favorite love songs that hold some symbolism for me concerning my relationship with Jon. They aren't really our songs but to me they are. Every time I hear them, I think of us and they fill my heart with love. To me they are our songs. They may be sad love songs but they are songs about enduring love. They are dear to my heart.

No comments:
Post a Comment