The Diving Bell and the Butterfly was a quick read and I really enjoyed it. It's about the French Editor of Elle Magazine after he suffered a stroke and became a parapallegic. It talks about his time at the hospital, how his friends and families treated him after, realizing he won't recover, learning to communicate without words, etc. While the book is about a tramatic event the book itself isn't sad or depressing. I learned after reading it that there is a movie about it so I've added it to my Blockbuster que and am excited to see it.
The Stranger was another quick read. I didn't enjoy it as much as The Diving Bell. It's about a man that through a series of events ends up killing a man and talks about events leading up to that, his time in jail, his trial, and builds up to his execution (I have 10 pages left so not quite sure how it ends but I'm assuming he gets executed).
I read Modoc over a year ago but it's probably my favorite book right now so I'll share about that too. It's about a boy whos family works for the circus and is in charge of the elephants. His father dies when he's pretty young and when he died he told the boy to take care of the baby elephant (Modoc) so the boy dedicates his life to that and they go on great adventures. They get shipwrecked, spend time in India, are hunted, Modoc gets taken away from the boy (at that point a man) and sold, etc. It's based on a true story and it is an incredible story. I am biased though because I am pretty obsessed with elephants but it was a good read.I have a whole stack of other books to read that I'm excited to get to but I go back to school next week so I don't know if I'll have much time until after Christmas to read. But in my stack of books I have: The Screwtape Letters, An Ordinary Man, Lord of the Flies, French Women Don't Get Fat, .... I can't even remember what else. There are like 10 books though.
No comments:
Post a Comment