Labels

Friday, September 18, 2009

What's Happening This Week

Another "Updates" Blog.  It seems like that's all I do.  But I guess that's kind of the point of a blog right?

I sort of started at Banana Republic this week.  I had two different training sessions where we went over all the policies, history of the company, etc, etc.  I start my first "real" shifts next week and when I got my schedule yesterday I was pleasantly surprised that I am scheduled for 14 hours and not just 8.  Hopefully that will continue to be the case.  I'm excited about working there and so far everyone has been super nice so it should be a lot of fun.

School is still going well.  I'm trying hard to stay caught up on everything and to not let myself get behind or distracted like I so easily do.

In about a month I will have to give a presentation in my Sociology class and I've picked the subject of "Obsession with Self Image and the Extremes People will go through to Achieve the "Ideal" Image and how they will [Nearly] Never Achieve It."  I think I chose a pretty big topic but I think it's going to be good.  I'm planning to focus on people obsessed with plastic surgery/dieting and the use of steroids, etc.  I started doing some research this week and I think it might be a little harder than I thought to get reliable information for the report but I am still excited and think I should be able to find a lot to work with.

Michelle is coming over to do pictures of Jon and me tomorrow.  I'm super excited.  We don't really have a game plan so that part could be frustrating for Michelle but hopefully not.  She's awesome so I'm sure we will be able to come up with good ideas.  I can't wait to see the end results.  I'm excited to have pictures of us.

I started my internship on Monday and I think I am going to love it.  I started working on a Policeman costume and will hopefully get it finished up next week.  This weekend I'm going to work on aprons for grocery store related people (deli & bakery clerks and checkout people).  What I am most excited about at the moment is that I get to do costumes based off of Where the Wild Things Are.  I am excited to get going on those.  I'm going to draw up some sketches and start working on making those in the next couple weeks.  SO excited about that.  I guess that the costumes are for Discovery Gateway.  I haven't been there so I need to go check it out.  It sounds pretty cool.  I know Jaida loves it there so it must be awesome :)


I sorted through all my fabric last weekend and am getting rid of a lot of it which is good.  The bad news about it is that I don't have fabric like I thought I did and was planning to use for this years An October Evening show.  That was disappointing because now I am back at square one and have exactly one month to get outfits made and find models (which won't be too bad if I stay on task).  I started a cream colored eyelet dress on Sunday and am going to get that finished up this weekend (I'll post pictures when it's done).  If I get two dresses done this weekend I will be in good shape.  If anyone knows anyone that would be interested in modeling for me let me know.  I'm planning on either letting the models keep their outfit or else figuring out some other sort of compensation for their time.

I'm still trying to think of a sort of side business I can do for at least the next few months since I will be working/making so much less.  I'm thinking either making clothes and trying to sell them online or doing custom clothing for people or else focusing more on accessory type things (jewelry and purses, maybe aprons).  Anyone have input?  I have little direction so if someone has a suggestion I am all ears.

I finished reading Tuesdays With Morris this week.  It was a good, easy read.  It totally is one of those appreciate life books but it's a good one.  I would recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. Although, I love your clothes, I think that you'd have more luck right now with jewelry. Besides, you make fun jewelry too! Good luck, and I am excited for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete