So, I think everyone that knows me, knows that I am pretty obsessed with Pinterest. And like most Pinterest users, I think my eyes are usually more excited about projects than my motivation or time are.
Anyway, I saw this Pin a while ago: http://www.iloveitallwithmonikawright.com/2011/03/date-night.html and thought it looked like a fun idea but never really took time to do it because my relationship is still all over the place. Jon and I are trying to work things out but we still aren't living together and we definitely have challenges. So based off of that, I hesitate to do too much that is relationship-y because I don't really know where my relationship is going to be next week.
But, we were at a party last month and Jon was talking to one of my friends about how bad his memory is and how he seems to remember more bad than good in life. Putting that in perspective of our current situation, it is easier for him to remember and to focus on the fights, bad days, etc than to remember all the good things, big or little. That motivated me to work on creating a project that might help him keep the good in mind when sometimes it is hard to do.
I spent a few weeks trying to figure out how to make a cute little book and to decide what I wanted to do exactly, but finally decided (and am happy with the decision) to get a calendar and use that for my book. It's not as cute as one as the site above, but it will get the job done, and I hope it will help me to write something good every day, or at least every day that I see Jon.
I got a little calendar from the dollar store and some colored paper to add notes when things don't fit in the date provided. I might cover the cover in fabric or something cute later but I might also leave it as it is and do one every year. Leaving the years on the cover would make it easier to look back to specific years.
I have been saving ticket stubs and making notes of things we do for several weeks but the day planner section of my planner starts in August so I had to cover some of the pages before with my things I've been saving.
Blurry pictures from my phone.
For this day, my note didn't fit so I glued paper in the space, wrote what I wanted, and folded it to fit.
I haven't given this to Jon yet but I think even if I don't give it to him, or if things don't work out for us, it is a fun way spend a few minutes every day appreciating your partner and acknowledging it. Too often we let life, work, family, school, social responsibilities, etc get in the way of our relationships and we take things for granted. I know that I let that happen in my marriage and I want to make sure that I don't let that happen again. This is a good way to pause all the distractions in life and think about what is really important and what makes us happy. You could do it for any situation too. If things don't work out with Jon, I might do one for myself where I just make note of things I did on a day or something I noticed/appreciated about the world, etc. Would be fun to do for kids too and keep it as a diary of their childhood.
I have a couple of friends getting married in the next couple of weeks and am thinking about getting them stuff to make one but don't know if they would think that was a dumb gift. Any thoughts there?




love this idea! i also think it would be a really cute and meaningful present... do it!
ReplyDelete